Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Facebook Twitter Flickr

Good Japanese movies on Netflix
03-16-2013, 01:00 AM
For all you Netflix subscribers out there from the US or otherwise, what are some good Japanese movies available on Netflix streaming that you would recommend?

Compared to their Chinese and Korean counterparts, the selection of Japanese movies on Netflix is very small and most of the movies that they do have are either really obscure, really bad, or both. Japanese doesn't even show us as a language in the Taste Preferences settings so it is difficult to find a Japanese movies category. I believe this was added recently, but you have to search Japanese in the search bar in order to find one. Here is a link but I'm not sure if it works for you all.

Perhaps we could compile a list of Japanese movies that are good and can recommend.
  • Ran
  • Adrift in Tokyo
  • Quill
  • Fish Story
  • Departures
  • White on Rice (movie about Japanese-Americans with only limited Japanese dialogue, but still really good movie in my opinion)
  • I Wish
  • Time Traveller: the girl who leapt through time
  • Kagemusha
  • Midnight Eagle

In addition, while there's a lot of anime on Netflix, almost all of it is dubbed into English with only very few titles in Japanese voices with English subtitles. Maybe we could also make a list of those. I would start one but I don't really watch very much anime.
03-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Which Netflix? US?
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes, well, I'm talking about the US Netflix. I use a proxy to access that.

If you have experience with Netflix from another region, you're welcome to mention that too.
03-17-2013, 01:29 AM
I wouldn't exactly an experience of using netflix but the other way around. Latin-America netflix sucks. It sucks really bad.

It has only a couple of series (i'd say around 50-70) and they are a weird mix. You don't have old series like Doctor Who or Star Trek, and you don't even have new series like Game of Thrones or Supernatural.

And the japanese series/movies are almost non-existant, i think naruto (dub of course) is there and you have some weird selection of other series, but i can't remember which those series were. I mean, they don't have Dragon Ball or Doraemon or Sailor Moon =/.
03-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Just saw "I Wish," a cute 2011 movie about two brothers with divorced parents who live apart. In the bullet train from Fukuoka to Kagoshima just opened and they say a miracle can happen at the point where two bullet trains meet and pass each other. So the brothers and their friends go to that point to make wishes.

It was a nice movie that seemed to be more about the characters than the plot and there were surprisingly a lot of characters. Since I live in Kagoshima (sort of, not really...), I enjoyed the scenes of Kagoshima very much and could recognize a lot of places. Rated it a 5 maybe just because of that. Smiling
08-04-2013, 11:43 AM
midnight eagle is a good movie
(03-16-2013 01:00 AM)Pensuke Wrote:  
  • Ran
  • Adrift in Tokyo
  • Quill
  • Fish Story
  • Departures
  • White on Rice (movie about Japanese-Americans with only limited Japanese dialogue, but still really good movie in my opinion)
  • I Wish
  • Time Traveller: the girl who leapt through time
  • Kagemusha

In addition, while there's a lot of anime on Netflix, almost all of it is dubbed into English with only very few titles in Japanese voices with English subtitles. Maybe we could also make a list of those. I would start one but I don't really watch very much anime.
08-10-2013, 08:28 PM
(08-04-2013 11:43 AM)kokujin Wrote:  midnight eagle is a good movie

Thanks! Added it to the first post.

Also for those people who live out of the US and have a subscription like I do, you can watch still watch Netflix on Firefox or Chrome by installing the Media Hint Add-on to watch it on your browser.
08-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Speaking of which, Pensuke, did you renew your JET contract this year? Or have you moved on to something else?

Gaming Backlog | Media Backlog 応援してください!
08-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Random place to ask, but yes, I did renew for this year. I probably plan to do a total of three years of JET and then go to graduate school somewhere (most likely the States), but we'll see what ultimately happens. Tongue_out
08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Well, not entirely random; you mentioned that you still weren't living in the States, so I was curious what you decided to do after your second year.

Gaming Backlog | Media Backlog 応援してください!