Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Facebook Twitter Flickr

Fire Emblem: Awakening
08-20-2012, 04:28 AM
I know it's coming to the US next year, but I'm an impatient person and I was frothing over that shiny FE 3DS forever, so I got the bundle! I just started a day or two ago, so I'm only on chapter 1. I don't know a huge amount of kanji, and I'm looking forward to what it may teach me.

Has anyone else played a Fire Emblem in Japanese before? I also have the DS game that never came out in the US, and I would like to pick up Gaiden at some point as well.

My Backloggery | My Japanese games | My gaming stream (English)
08-20-2012, 10:54 AM
I just looked up that bundle and it is very classy. It reminds me of the incredibly beautiful Zelda 3DS that was released last year. Although I am personally waiting for the next (3DS Lite? 3DS Duo?) redesign (which I am really hoping has two analog sticks) before I take the plunge, I think you made the right choice for two reasons.
  • Your 3DS is super sexy. As a former owner of the golden Triforce-embossed Nintendo DS, I approve.
  • You chose to play Fire Emblem in Japanese. As a fellow immersion gamer, I once again approve.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I've ever played or owned a Fire Emblem game. I might have one of the DS titles at home in America, but even if I do it's probably still in plastic wrap. Gasping If I ever own a (Japanese or region-free) Nintendo console again, though, I'm sure that I'll give the series a try.

I may not be playing the game, but I'm happy to lend a hand if you need help with a translation or something, so feel free to post screenshots or anything like that if need be!

Gaming Backlog | Media Backlog 応援してください!
08-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks! To be honest, I can't really put my finger on what it is about the series that draws me in. I have fond memories of staying up way too late in college with the first English-released game because I just couldn't put it down, and I've been a fan ever since. If you like medieval fantasy type SRPGs, I definitely recommend trying it out sometime. Just beware of the rather brutal "a unit that dies is gone forever" rule, unless you choose Casual mode, which has only been a recent addition to the games.

08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I am a big fan of Valkyria Chronicles, so I know all about permanent death. Lots of save files, lots of resetting. Winking Do Fire Emblem games have graveyards for visiting your dead like one Valkyria Chronicles had?

08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Ohh right, I have played the first Valkyria Chronicles and forgot that it had perma-death as well. No, unfortunately you don't get a graveyard, and in fact you simply don't get an epilogue for dead characters in most of the games. I think a couple may actually acknowledge deaths in epilogues, but I'm not 100% positive. (I'm the kind of person that resets when someone dies too. Terrified) If it's somenoe important to the story, they don't "die" but you can't use them in battle ever again, unlike the commanders in VC.

08-21-2012, 05:12 PM
I haven't played a Fire Emblem game since the Gameboy Advance version, ファイアーエムブレム 烈火の剣 Faiā Emuburemu Rekka no Ken. I know it's an old one, but it's honestly up there with my favorite strategy games: Final Fantasy Tactics and Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm the same way as you guys when it comes to character deaths - I'll reset the game. I hate when a character dies, and I'll reset no matter how long it takes to get back to where I was. The worst thing is whenever they die towards the end of the stage. Makes me want to rage. Hard.

Personal Blog / The Elder Scrolls Online Forum
02-06-2013, 02:52 PM
So, I've finally gotten my hands on the game in English, which means I can fully enjoy the story now! This also means when I some day go back and play in Japanese, I'll be more relaxed and not pushing myself to try and understand everything because I'll already know what's going on.

On that note, I was toying around with an idea earlier this evening. I know there are some story summaries posted on this site. What if I wrote a summary for each chapter as I progress through the game, and either have them posted here on the site or have it linked from an outside site? This could help people who are playing it for the first time in Japanese and aren't familiar with the story but aren't comfortable enough with the language yet to understand the flow of the plot. (It could also help jog my memory later on when I'm trying to recall events myself on a different playthrough.)

Obviously there are going to be some differences between various language versions of a game, but I could try to make it general enough that those differences either wouldn't surface or wouldn't matter. I could even put a disclaimer that the summary is based on the English version and may not be an exact match to what happens in Japanese. Could this be a useful contribution to the site, Cappa?

02-06-2013, 10:50 PM
(02-06-2013 02:52 PM)Lyndis Wrote:  Could this be a useful contribution to the site, Cappa?

Absolutely! I'd be happy to put it up on the site, and when you play through the Japanese version you can go through and fix up any inconsistencies that you find. (From the sounds of it, though, it's a great localization, so they should be pretty close.)

02-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Random question: Sometimes when one of my units heals another unit, the one being healed says something that sounds like "べいおゆ". Almost like "I owe you" except for the first sound. I can't find anything resembling this in dictionaries and I could be mishearing it. Any ideas?

02-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Can you try recording it with your phone or something, and posting it on YouTube so I can give it a listen? I don't have the game myself.

Yet. Cool

02-15-2013, 02:10 AM
(02-15-2013 01:43 AM)cappazushi Wrote:  Can you try recording it with your phone or something, and posting it on YouTube so I can give it a listen? I don't have the game myself.

Yet. Cool

I can certainly try! They have several different phrases they say randomly, so it might be tricky.

02-15-2013, 03:37 PM
I found a video with it! Happy

http://youtu.be/WCrJdnShinY?t=14m14s

02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
I listened.

... Surprised

I'm going to ask my wife about it when I get home.

02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Is the entirety of the game fully voiced? When I played the demo not all the dialogue had been voiced, but I'm not sure whether that's because it's a demo or because the whole game is like that.

My copy should arrive this week or the next one. I hope it arrives this week because my birthday is this Thursday (the same day as the anniversary of the release of the first Zelda in Japan!).
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
The animated cutscenes are fully voiced. The regular dialogue has some one-liners interjected into it, but they don't necessarily exactly match the text. There are various one-liners during different battle situations as well.

Speaking of which, Cappa, any luck on asking your wife about that one line? Laughing

By the way, not to toot my own horn or anything, but the beginning of my story summary is now available and will be added to as I finish writing more chapters. I hope someone finds it helpful! You can find it here:

http://www.jrpgclub.com/fire-emblem-awak...y-summary/

02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
I must recommend anyone picking up any of the two latest games in the series not to pick casual mode. It can surely be frustrating to have to replay a chapter if one of the characters die, but the casual mode ruins the strategy entirely. Admittedly I haven't actually tried it out, but it's only logical. If you run casual mode, you won't have to worry much at all if a couple of characters fall. You can skip all the usual precautions and just rush on. And if you keep everyone alive, you'll end up with a bunch of kamikaze-pilots to send onto the boss of the chapter. In other words it completely eliminates the challenge. And I think we can all agree tat no challenge = no fun.
02-28-2013, 09:52 AM
I have to disagree with you, Siskan. Casual mode doesn't necessarily mean no challenge, especially if you play on a difficulty higher than Normal. I'm playing on Hard Casual and having a ton of fun. Yes, I admit I will occasionally rush a unit in to sacrifice themselves to grab a really good item or something, but generally I try to keep everyone alive because if someone is defeated, they lose out on all experience for the rest of the chapter. On the other hand, constantly worrying about death if I so much as make a single mistake isn't what I consider fun. I play games to try and de-stress, not stress out. Laughing

Also, I know at least one person who's so bad at Fire Emblem that Casual mode is the only way he can beat the game. To some people, the story and characters are more important than challenging gameplay. It's really a matter of personal preference! Smiling

02-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I haven't made the switch to easy mode (in any game) yet, but the more I play the more I've started to consider it. This is a personal thing, but I'm playing games to learn Japanese, and because I have a wife and daughter now, my gaming time is very, very sparse. If I spend an entire night banging my head against a hard boss or dungeon, I go to sleep feeling like I've wasted my time and made no progress in the language. Again, I haven't made the switch to easy modes yet, but I've often considered it as a way to get more immersion out of my time investment.

Even one of the guys who localized the latest Fire Emblem game admitted that not using casual mode simply meant resetting his 3DS a lot more. When I played Valkyria Chronicles, I did the same thing. I was essentially playing a game that was in between the two options; I never lost any units, but I also had to finish each mission perfectly before moving on. These days, I probably wouldn't have the time. (That being said, the lack of permanent death in VC2 and to an even greater extent VC3 definitely made it harder for me to connect with the characters.)

02-28-2013, 10:12 AM
(02-28-2013 09:52 AM)Lyndis Wrote:  I have to disagree with you, Siskan.
Well, that still means that you choose to try to keep characters alive. Not everyone can do that. I think most people would end up rushing anyway, just because they are allowed to and have little to lose. And the boss example I mentioned is still doable and won't cost you anything and is likely to produce more exp in total.
So I don't doubt that it works for you, but I think it won't for most people.
Just to mention something similar, there are some games, typically MMORPGs which offer way too overpowered weapons which you let one-hit bosses (I'm not exaggerating). I can resist the urge to use it and I can therefore enjoy a challenging battle while most other people can't and then complain that the game is boring. And yes, I'm aware that this is case is a hundred times worse, but it's still similar.

Also I'm one of these people you mention who find the story and characters to be more important, even by far. That doesn't mean that I don't want to enjoy every aspect of the game.
05-21-2013, 01:01 AM
I finally finished the English version of the game not too long ago, and I'm already thinking about my next playthrough. (Yes, I loved it that much!) I'm going to try to resist temptation for a while to focus on my chapter summaries for the site, though. That way I'll be able to utilize them myself when I restart my Japanese playthrough. Winking